Breaking News
Parents of missing 7-month-old baby Emmanuel Haro are arrested on suspicion of murder

The parents of a missing 7-month-old baby in Southern California were arrested on suspicion of murder at their home on Friday morning, more than a week after the infant’s mother reported that he was kidnapped outside of a store.
Jake and Rebecca Haro were taken into custody by detectives with the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Homicide Detail and Specialized Enforcement Division at their residence in Cabazon. No additional details about the arrest have been provided.
“Investigators will continue their search for seven-month-old Emmanuel Haro,” the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Office said in a social media post.
Earlier this week, investigators said they followed up on a possible reported sighting of Emmanuel Haro in Southern California, but he has not been located.
Investigators also confirmed that a vehicle belonging to Jake Haro, the father of the missing boy, was seized so it could be processed for evidence potentially linked to the baby’s disappearance, KTLA reported.
The infant’s mother had also stopped cooperating with investigators, according to authorities.
Rebecca Haro said her infant son, Emmanuel Haro, was kidnapped on the evening of Aug. 14 outside of a Big 5 retail store in Yucaipa, Calif., the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department said.
Haro said she was changing Emmanuel’s diaper outside her vehicle when a man assaulted her and knocked her unconscious, according to police. When she regained consciousness, she reported her son missing after she couldn’t find him.
“I got him out of the car seat and I laid him down so I could get his diapers ready, and somebody said ‘Hola’ and that’s all I remember, and I saw white,” Haro, with a bruise under her right eye that she says she got from the assault, recalled in tears to KABC-TV “I fell on the floor, and I said as I got up, I couldn’t find my son. I checked all around my truck, and I ran into Big 5, and I asked the lady if she saw a baby or someone with a baby. She said ‘no.’”
Deputies and K9 units from San Bernardino and Riverside counties responded at 7:47 p.m. local time on Aug. 14, but despite an extensive search, Emmanuel was not found, authorities said.
An AMBER Alert wasn’t issued after the alleged kidnapping because there were no suspect or vehicle descriptions. “I’m begging you. If you know anything, please, I’m begging you to bring him back,” Haro told KCAL on Saturday, as she and family members were gathered in the parking lot of the Big 5 to hand out missing persons fliers.
Emmanuel weighs around 21 pounds and is 24 inches long, according to investigators. He has brown hair, brown eyes, is cross-eyed and was last seen wearing a black Nike onesie.
Here’s what else we know so far about the case.
Inconsistencies in Rebecca Haro’s statement
Investigators have interviewed multiple people, including Emmanuel’s parents, Jake and Rebecca Haro.
“During those interviews, Rebecca was confronted with inconsistencies in her initial statement and declined to continue with the interview,” the sheriff’s department said, adding that they can’t rule out foul play in Emmanuel’s disappearance.
“While Emmanuel’s father has retained an attorney, if the parents choose to work with detectives, we welcome their cooperation as we continue efforts to locate Emmanuel,” the San Bernardino Sheriff’s Office said Wednesday.
Jake Haro has a past child cruelty conviction, records show
In 2018, Jake Haro and his former partner, Vanessa Avina, were charged with felony child cruelty, alleging the pair endangered a child under conditions likely to cause great bodily harm or death, according to Riverside County court records.
Haro pleaded guilty to the charge in 2023. He was placed on four years of felony probation and was ordered to serve 180 days in jail on a work-release program, KESQ reported.
Search of Haro’s family home
Over the last few days, investigators have conducted several searches in Yucaipa, the location of the retail store where Emmanuel was reported missing, and Cabazon, the location of the Haro family home.
Investigators have served several search warrants at the Haro home and have used K9 units to help with the investigation. Authorities are also reviewing a large amount of surveillance video from the areas of interest.
The sheriff’s department said: “Anyone with information regarding this incident is urged to contact the Specialized Investigations Division at 909-890-4904. Callers wishing to remain anonymous should contact We-Tip at 1-800-78-CRIME (27463) or go to wetip.com.”
This week, a fire reportedly broke out at the property next to the Haro residence in Cabazon. “At this time, we have no information indicating the fire is related,” the Sheriff’s Department said Wednesday.
The Haro family says they were in Yucaipa for a sports practice
KCAL and KTLA reported that Rebecca Haro was in Yucaipa, about 27 miles northwest of her home in Cabazon, for another child’s football practice when she reported her infant son missing.
Haro reportedly told authorities that she left her husband and their two other children at the local park where the football practice was held to get a mouthguard for the child at the Big 5 store, with Emmanuel in tow.
Foundation calls on Haro family to join the search for Emmanuel after rescinding reward
The Uvalde Foundation for Kids, a nonprofit national child advocacy group, announced in a statement Aug. 17 that it pulled its own search teams and a $5,000 reward offer for information about Emmanuel’s disappearance. The foundation said it was concerned about Rebecca Haro’s abrupt decision to stop cooperating with investigators and communicating with the foundation.
“Something is not right in this whole picture,” Daniel Chapin, founder and director of the Uvalde Foundation for Kids, said in the statement. “We hope law enforcement will continue to pursue the case so that this precious child may be found and placed in a safe environment.”
On Aug. 19, the foundation in a social media post called on Rebecca and Jake Haro to join the search for their missing son. “Join the search & you will be protected,” the post says. You can change the trajectory of this case & if there is nothing to hide, come forward & the foundation and community will support you as never imagined!”