US Politics
Iran-US war latest: Tehran and Oman discuss permanent Strait of Hormuz toll despite Trump warnings
Decision to leave OPEC was long in the making, says senior UAE advisor
The UAE’s decision to leave OPEC was three years in the making and is based on its view the world is near the “autumn of the hydrocarbon age”, meaning the country needs to maximise oil revenues while it can, a senior adviser to the president said.
The UAE ended its nearly 60‑year membership of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries on May 1.
In the immediate term, the decision is unlikely to affect the market because of Iran’s effective closure of the Strait of Hormuz, but it could have a major impact on OPEC’s control over supplies when oil flows normalise.
Anwar Gargash, adviser to UAE President Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, said the country’s exit was chiefly because its OPEC production quotas kept output well below capacity.
“We see that we are close to the sort of autumn of the hydrocarbon age,” he added. “And as a result, if you have the ability to produce and generate income and use that income in other investments, that’s what you should do.”
James Reynolds22 May 2026 15:30
Trump ‘has other options’ if diplomacy doesn’t work, says Rubio, admitting there’s still work to be done
The United States has seen some progress in talks with Iran and is in constant communication with the Pakistani mediators, but there is more work to be done, Marco Rubio said today.
“There’s been some progress. I wouldn’t exaggerate it. I wouldn’t diminish it,” Rubio told reporters after a NATO ministers meeting in Sweden.
“There’s more work to be done,” he admitted. “We’re not there yet. I hope we get there.”
Rubio said Trump would prefer to make a good deal, but will need to discuss concerns about Iran’s possible access to nuclear weapons, the issue of future uranium enrichment, and the Strait of Hormuz.
“We’re dealing with a very difficult group of people, and if it doesn’t change, then the president’s been clear he has other options,” Rubio said.
James Reynolds22 May 2026 15:16
The key issues preventing the US and Iran from agreeing a peace deal
A Pakistani delegation was in Tehran on Friday to discuss the latest proposals to end the US-Israeli war, Iranian media reported, as Washington insisted there had been “some good signs” in recent talks to settle the conflict once and for all.
Syed Mohsin Naqvi held another round of talks with Iran’s Abbas Araghchi in the Iranian capital just two days after Pakistan presented the Iranians with the latest US message in negotiations.
But even as Islamabad tries desperately to stoke peace talks, insiders suggest a few prickly issues remain unresolved, and oil prices continue to climb with investors doubting the prospect of a breakthrough.
James Reynolds22 May 2026 15:01
Watch: Marco Rubio says there has been ‘slight progress’ on Iran as NATO ministers meet in Sweden
James Reynolds22 May 2026 14:30
Qatar sends negotiating team to Tehran
Reuters is reporting that Qatar has sent a negotiating team to Tehran, in coordination with the US, to try and secure a deal to end the war, citing a source with knowledge of the movements.
James Reynolds22 May 2026 14:14
US pauses major arms sale to Taiwan over Iran war
The US Navy has put a major arms sale to Taiwan on “pause” to ensure the military has enough munitions for its war in Iran.
Hung Cao, the acting secretary of the US Navy, said during a congressional hearing about the stalled $14bn weapons purchase, that “right now we’re doing a pause in order to make sure we have the munitions we need for Epic Fury – which we have plenty”.
“But, we’re just making sure we have everything, then the foreign military sales will continue when the administration deems necessary.”
James Reynolds22 May 2026 13:47
Iran rebuilt military capacity faster than expected during ceasefire, says US intelligence
Iran has been rebuilding its military capacity much faster than expected during a six-week ceasefire with the US and Israel, according to new US intelligence reports.
The ceasefire provided an opportunity for Tehran to restart its production of drones, replace missile sites and reignite its production capacity, four US officials told CNN.
“The Iranians have exceeded all timelines the IC [the intelligence community] had for reconstitution,” one official said.
James Reynolds22 May 2026 13:15
More than 40 US military aircraft lost or damaged in Iran war during war
More than 40 U.S. military aircraft have been lost or damaged since the start of the war with Iran, a Congressional report has revealed.
Operation Epic Fury has led to the destruction of 42 aircraft, including F-15 fighter jets, an F-35 Lightning II aircraft, drones, and a HH-60W Jolly Green II combat search-and-rescue helicopter due to incidents including friendly fire and combat operations.
The F-35A Lightning II alone is worth around $110m, according to the Centre for Arms Control and Non-Proliferation.
James Reynolds22 May 2026 12:46
Iran’s Supreme Leader has issued a directive that the country’s near-weapons-grade uranium should not be sent abroad, two senior Iranian sources said, hardening Tehran’s stance on one of the main US demands at peace talks.
Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei’s order could further frustrate Donald Trump and complicate talks on ending the war on Iran.
Trump vowed on Thursday that the United States will not allow Iran to have its stockpile of highly enriched uranium.
“The Supreme Leader’s directive, and the consensus within the establishment, is that the stockpile of enriched uranium should not leave the country,” said one of the two Iranian sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.
Iran’s top officials, the sources said, believe that sending the material abroad would leave the country more vulnerable to future attacks by the United States and Israel. Khamenei has the last say on the most important state matters.
James Reynolds22 May 2026 12:15
Trump cancelled Iran strikes after Saudi Arabia issued Hajj pilgrimage warning: report
President Donald Trump cancelled new attacks on Iran after Saudi Arabia warned strikes during the Hajj pilgrimage would cause serious “reputational damage”, according to a report.
The US leader threatened to restart a bombing campaign on the Islamic Republic after efforts to reach a deal appeared to be deadlocked but later backtracked and said that he was in no rush to end the conflict.
Earlier this week he said he was “an hour away” from attacking the country and that Gulf leaders had intervened.
James Reynolds22 May 2026 11:45
