Connect with us

US Politics

Ukraine-Russia war latest: UK summons Russian ambassador after British Council struck in Kyiv missile attack

Published

on


UN chief condemns Russia’s missile, drone attacks on Ukraine

United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres condemns Russia’s deadly missile and drone attacks on Ukraine, spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said on Thursday.

Guterres again called for a ceasefire leading to peace “that fully upholds Ukraine’s sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity,” Dujarric said.

In a post on X, Guterres wrote attacks against civilians and civilian infrastructure must end “immediately”.

Nicole Wootton-Cane28 August 2025 16:00

US envoy labels Russian attacks ‘egregious’

US envoy on Ukraine General Keith Kellogg has blasted the Russian attacks as “egregious”.

In a post on X he wrote: “Last night Russia launched the second largest aerial attack of the war with 600 drones and 31 missiles. The targets? Not soldiers and weapons but residential areas in Kyiv—blasting civilian trains, the EU & British mission council offices, and innocent civilians.

“These egregious attacks threaten the peace that @POTUS is pursuing.”

Nicole Wootton-Cane28 August 2025 15:45

ANALYSIS: Trump’s Ukraine peace plans have failed – it’s time for Europe to show leadership

Russia’s devastating overnight strikes on Kyiv show Trump’s peace plans have failed, says The Independent’s World Affairs Editor Sam Kiley.

He says it is now time for Europe to stand up and show leadership.

“The latest Russian set of attacks and Donald Trump’s ongoing support for Vladimir Putin, are proof, as if it were needed, that Europe’s leaders must prepare their nations for a long fight, increased taxation, and inflation as a result of increased fossil fuel prices,” he writes.

“They must accept that the good times so lavishly enjoyed by Boomers and Gen X are over.”

Read his full analysis below.

Nicole Wootton-Cane28 August 2025 15:30

Russian defence minister inspects troops in Ukraine

Russian Defence Minister Andrei Belousov inspected the “Center” group of Russian forces operating in Ukraine, his ministry has said.

Belousov was briefed on combat operations and drone projects, the ministry said.

Steffie Banatvala28 August 2025 15:00

Zelensky accuses Hungary of denying entry to Hungarian community in Ukraine

Zelensky has hit out at Hungary’s response to mass Russian drone strikes, accusing the country of “discrimination” against the Hungarian community in Ukraine.

In a post on X, the Ukrainian President he had instructed his foreign ministry to look into claims a Ukrainian military commander who is ethnically Hungarian was denied entry to Hungary “and the entire Schengen zone”.

“Every day we hear new accusations against Ukraine coming from Hungary. Hungarian officials have gone so far as to attempt to discriminate against members of the Hungarian community in Ukraine for their participation in the defense of our state and our people,” he wrote.

“If Hungary has indeed closed entry into Hungary and the entire Schengen zone to one of Ukraine’s military commanders, who is an ethnic Hungarian and a citizen of Ukraine, this can only cause outrage. I have instructed the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine to clarify all the facts and respond accordingly.”

Nicole Wootton-Cane28 August 2025 14:30

Pictures: Moscow strike also hits EU mission building

More pictures are emerging of the attack that hit an EU mission building.

Damages to the EU offices in Kyiv
Damages to the EU offices in Kyiv (EU delegation in Ukraine)
Damages to the EU offices in Kyiv
Damages to the EU offices in Kyiv (EU delegation in Ukraine)

Steffie Banatvala28 August 2025 14:00

Four children among 18 killed in Russian strikes, authorities say

At least 18 people have been killed, including four children, in the latest death toll update given by authorities in Ukraine.

A two-year-old child is believed to be among the dead, alongside other children aged 14 and 17.

Nicole Wootton-Cane28 August 2025 13:27

ICYMI: Russia strikes key Ukraine energy facility in large-scale drone attack

Russia strikes key Ukraine energy facility in large-scale drone attack

Steffie Banatvala28 August 2025 13:00

Steffie Banatvala28 August 2025 13:00

Kremlin ‘satisfied’ after Italy arrests Ukrainian man over Nord Stream attack

The Kremlin has said it is satisfied with the progress of a German investigation into attacks on the Nord Stream gas pipelines in the Baltic Sea in 2022 after Italy arrested a suspect wanted in Germany.

An Italian appeals court earlier this month confirmed the arrest of the 49-year-old Ukrainian man suspected by Germany of coordinating the attacks which largely severed Russian gas supplies to Europe.

The suspect, identified only as Serhii K. under German privacy laws, may now be extradited to Germany where prosecutors say he was part of a group of people who planted devices on the pipelines near the Danish island of Bornholm in the Baltic Sea.

Of course, it is satisfying that this investigation is underway and we want to believe that it will be seen through to the end, and that not only the perpetrators but also those who ordered these terrorist acts will be named.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov

Steffie Banatvala28 August 2025 12:30



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *