Breaking News

Northwestern, Trump admin reach $75 million agreement over frozen research funds

Published

on


Northwestern University reached a three-year, $75 million agreement with President Donald Trump’s administration to restore its federal funding.

As part of the agreement, the university will pay the Department of Treasury, marking the end of a seven-month battle over hundreds of millions of federal aid.

Trump administration halts $1 billion for Cornell, $790 million for Northwestern, White House officials say

According to the agreement, the Trump administration permanently closed all civil rights investigations by the Departments of Health and Human Services, Education and the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division.

The agreement comes after Cornell University reached an agreement with the Trump administration to “immediately restore” its frozen federal funding after negotiations over alleged civil rights violations, the school announced earlier this month.

Chicago Tribune/TNS – PHOTO: US-NEWS-CMP-NORTHWESTERN-MENTAL-HEALTH-RESEARCH-TB

In a statement issued to the school community, Northwestern maintains it has not relinquished institutional control, and it denies all wrongdoing.

Northwestern University Interim President Henry S. Bienen also stressed that the school’s agreement isn’t an admission of guilt.

Columbia University cedes to Trump administration demands after threat to withhold funds

“We had several hard red lines we refused to cross: We would not relinquish any control over whom we hire, whom we admit as students, what our faculty teach or how our faculty teach,” Bienen wrote, adding, “I would not have signed this agreement without provisions ensuring that is the case.”

Bienen added, “Northwestern runs Northwestern. Period.”

Secretary of Education Linda McMahon released a statement on Friday touting the deal as a “huge win” and “roadmap” for higher education leaders across the country.

“The deal cements policy changes that will protect students and other members of the campus from harassment and discrimination, and it recommits the school to merit-based hiring and admissions,” McMahon said.

The school said it expects the federal funds to resume flowing within days and be fully restored within 30 days.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending

Exit mobile version