Connect with us

Breaking News

Draft of Trump’s Health Blueprint Avoids Industry Crackdown

Published

on


<p>Robert F. Kennedy Jr., US secretary of Health and Human Services, left, and President Donald Trump during a news conference at the White House on May 12. </p>

Robert F. Kennedy Jr., US secretary of Health and Human Services, left, and President Donald Trump during a news conference at the White House on May 12.

A draft of the Trump administration’s highly anticipated blueprint on health policy takes a softer approach to regulating companies than many had feared, a relief for industry and setback for environmental activists.

Most Read from Bloomberg

The draft report, which has been reviewed by Bloomberg News, has parts that go beyond previous announcements. They are mostly about boosting research in areas such as the risks of microplastics and how antidepressants are prescribed for children. It also refers to plans to boost fertility rates and getting whole milk into public schools.

The draft was dated Aug. 11, but could still see changes before it’s finalized, according to people familiar with the discussions who weren’t authorized to speak publicly on the matter. In particular, the report’s tone around pesticides is far less critical than Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and his allies have been in the past. That raised concerns earlier this week from some of his supporters in the so-called Make America Healthy Again movement, according to the people.

The policy agenda is the second installment in a two-part process to carry out an executive order that President Donald Trump signed in February. The first report detailed research about what the administration viewed as the root cause of chronic disease among children, and the second was intended to lay out policies to address those root causes. The strategy was due to be submitted to the president on Aug. 12, but hasn’t been publicly released.

The White House declined to confirm the draft’s authenticity, but industry officials said it was largely in line with what they had been briefed on by the administration. Still, the report appeared in flux before its public release, with the debate centered on the wording of the pesticide provisions.

“Until officially released by the White House and MAHA Commission, any documents purporting to be the second MAHA Report should be disregarded as speculative literature,” said White House spokesman Kush Desai.

The document aligns with the administration’s strategy to create change by pressuring industries, rather than through new regulations or laws. Officials have employed the strategy with food companies, health insurers and pharmaceutical producers so far.

Story Continues



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *